Delivery to a Matson Port Facility
NOTE: An auto shipment booking is required prior to delivery of your vehicle to Matson.
Take your vehicle to the Matson Port Facility (see maps and hours of operation below).
At the Matson port facility you must provide the following:
- Driver’s license
- Matson booking number
At the Matson Port Facility leave a set of keys for the ignition, trunk door, gas tank, and any other locking compartment. If you have an electric car, please leave the charging cable in the vehicle.
Please Note: The Department of Agriculture inspects all compartments of your vehicle. All compartments must remain unlocked and accessible for inspection. Failure to do this may result in delay in the movement of your vehicle. Your keys will accompany your vehicle to its port of discharge.
Please retain possession of your automobile registration document – you will need it at the port of discharge. (This does not pertain to vehicles moving between Tacoma and the Alaska ports.)
Hawaii to Mainland – Legal Requirements
Required Documents Hawaii to the Mainland
- Current title
- Current registration
- Notarized letters of authorization from any non-present party listed on the Title (lien holder or spouse, etc)
- Seattle Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m.- 4:30 p.m. Online | PDF
- Oakland Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Online | PDF
- Long Beach Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Online | PDF
- Tacoma Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Noon cutoff for drop off on Wed and Fri) Online
- Honolulu Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Online | PDF
- Hilo Mon-Fri, 7:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Online | PDF
- Nawiliwili Mon-Fri (except Wed), 7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.,1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Wed, 7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Online | PDF
- Kahului* Mon-Fri, 7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Online | PDF
Click here to view current State of Hawaii legal requirements.
The State of Hawaii requires proof of ownership for automobiles shipped to the Mainland. Therefore, Matson cannot accept a vehicle for shipment from Hawaii unless the customer (1) Produces a certificate of ownership and a current certificate of registration showing that the person is the legal owner of the vehicle; or (2) Produces, if the person is not the legal owner of the vehicle, a current certificate of registration showing that the person is the registered owner of the vehicle and, in addition, obtains the written consent of the legal owner of the vehicle to the transportation. If someone other than the registered owner delivers the automobile, Matson must have a notarized letter of authorization. If a lien holder is named on the registration, then a letter from the lien holder authorizing shipment from Hawaii is required*.
Please Note: Automobiles departing from the Hilo port must have a valid Safety Check, Insurance, Registration, and a valid picture ID. This is per the Hilo Port Authority.
**If customer is loading vehicle as part of HHGDS Shipment, the load port will need the above information and auto should be physically inspected to verify the VIN info. **
*If the registered owner is an active military member with an out of state lien holder, this requirement is waived. No lien holder authorization is required for active military members with out-of state lien holders.
Guam Legal Requirements
Guam & Micronesia Eastbound – Legal Requirements
In addition to Matson required documentation, The United States Customs and Quarantine requires all automobiles entering the United States to complete the Importer Security Filings 10+2.
Click here to view United States Customs and Border Protection requirements for imports.
Guam & Micronesia Westbound – Legal Requirements
In addition to Matson required documentation, The United States Customs and Quarantine requires all automobiles transshipping via Honolulu to complete OK to LADE requirement.
Click here to view United States Customs and Border Protection requirements for exports.
Port Locations and Hours of Operations
Mainland Ports Vehicle Drop-off Hours & Map
Hawaii Ports Vehicle Drop-off Hours & Map
* Please note if a vehicle is delivered into the Kahului terminal Monday-Wednesday, the terminal will charge a storage fee of $6.88 per day, if the vehicle is dropped off on Thursday or Friday, the terminal will not charge a storage fee