Last Updated: January 1, 2020
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information when you interact with us, for example, when you:
- Visit and use our website;
- Email us or submit forms online;
- Submit an employment application;
- Interact with our mobile applications;
- engage us for shipping services;
- Request to track shipments;
- Call our company; or
- Engage us for other services.
Certain of the information we collect may be personal information, by which we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a natural person or household, such as a real name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, payment information, and account ID. When other information is directly associated with personal information, we also consider that information to be personal information. Information that is aggregated, de-identified, or anonymized will not be considered personal information. Publicly available information that is made available from federal, state, or local government records, also is not personal information.
The information we collect varies depending on how you interact with us:
Information You Provide to Us: You may provide the following types of information to us online, by phone, or otherwise when you use our services, and such information may be personal information within the terms of this policy (we also provide non-exhaustive examples of when this information may be collected):
- Individual contact and identification information, including name, email address, postal address, and phone number (for example, when you register with us on our website to perform shipping transactions, call our company, or sign up for promotional materials, you may provide your name, address, email address, and telephone number; when you provide us with your cellular phone number, you register for our Matson Automated Notification Program, and agree to receiving automated text messages regarding the status of your shipment; or if you serve as a military service member on our ships, we may have your name and address);
- User I.D., password, and any other credentials used to access Matson services (for example, when you register with us on our website to perform a shipping transaction, you will create or be assigned a unique user I.D. and password);
- Identification information for verification (for example, a copy of a state identification card for identity verification at the time of pickup at a Matson terminal);
- Shipping information, including origination and destination address and contact information (yours or others’), signatures for proof of receipt of delivery, account numbers, and information related to the contents of the shipment (for example, when you submit a request for a quote on our website, request a quote on the phone, or purchase one of our shipping services, we will collect information to perform the transaction or process the request);
- Payment information, including credit card information, bank account information, billing address, or other financial information (for example, when you purchase any of our services, we will collect the payment information to process the transaction, including over the telephone, at your request);
- Age range (for example, when you sign up for shipping notifications, you agree that you are over the age of 18);
- Purchase activity (for example, if you have purchased any services in the past);
- Survey or feedback information (for example, if you fill out a survey, or provide feedback through our mobile applications, we collect your responses);
- Booking number, Vehicle Identification Number, or other descriptive vehicle or household goods information (for example, for tracking purposes of your items or vehicle, if you ship your vehicle or household goods with us);
- Social media identity, posted content, and other data relating to our official social media pages or other Matson forums on the internet (for example, if you post on, Like, or otherwise interact with our Facebook page, we may process that information); or
- Other potentially personal information that you may provide to us so we can provide you with a Matson service.
- Individual contact and identification information, including name, email address, postal address, or phone number (for example, if anyone other than you will be picking up your items at a Matson terminal, the individual picking up the items must provide a notarized letter of authorization to allow them to pick up the items on your behalf, which may include any of these details about you).
- Cookies and web beacons when you visit our websites (see below for additional information on these technologies);
- IP address, device identifier, browser information, device information, operating system, language information, URL accessed, information about your use of our website, and dates and times of activity, including as accessed from cookies and web beacons described above;
- Telephone number, audio recordings, date and time information, and other information relating to your telephone call to us; or
- Location information (country), including as derived from your IP address.
Information From Third Parties: We may collect information from third parties, to the extent it is necessary to fulfill services requested by our customers. For example, we may collect:
Information Collected Automatically When You Use Our Services: We may also collect information automatically depending on the service you use, including when you use our website, or when you call us. For example, we may collect information such as:
Cookies: Cookies, pixels, or other tracing and tracking technologies are small data files that a website or its service providers may place on your browser when you visit a website. Cookies store a unique numerical identifier that sends back a signal to the installer of the cookie to announce your browser’s presence and movement on the website that installed the cookie or on websites that you visit after the cookie is installed. There are many different types of cookies that perform different functions. Some of these cookies remain on your browser and allow the installer of the cookie to track you over time and across the Internet. A cookie does not identify you personally, but identifies your browser.
Web Beacons: A “web beacon” is an object that is embedded in a web page or email that is usually invisible to the user and allows website operators to check whether a user has viewed a particular web page or an email. We may use web beacons on the website and in emails to count users who have visited particular pages, viewed emails and to deliver co-branded services. Some web beacons can be rendered ineffective by declining certain cookies or modifying your browser setting to notify you each time a Cookie is tendered, permitting you to accept or decline cookies on an individual basis.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- Provide the services you or others request, including for accepting, picking up, delivering, and tracking shipments;
- Complete the transactions you have requested, including collecting payment for services;
- Provide you a quote that you requested;
- Provide you with an account, and manage your account;
- Provide customer or technical support, and respond to communications from you;
- Notify you about updates to our websites, mobile applications, or services;
- Measure and improve our business, services, and performance, including our current and future shipping services and tools, customer service and sales performance, mobile applications, social media presence, and website layout and content;
- Perform analyses on the data we have collected, such as market analyses, trends, and other research for statistical purposes;
- Process, provide, and administer surveys, events, and special promotions;
- Provide, administer, and utilize our social media pages and websites;
- Send you updates about new products and services that we are offering;
- Compare information and identification for accuracy and verify it, including for identification purposes;
- Anonymize or otherwise protect your data;
- Prevent potentially fraudulent, prohibited, or illegal activities, and enforce our Terms & Conditions; or
- Comply with legal requirements, or assert or defend a legal claim.
CATEGORIES OF THIRD PARTIES WITH WHOM WE SHARE INFORMATION
Matson does not sell your personal information to third parties, and will not sell your personal information to third parties. We may, at times, disclose personal information we collect to the following categories of third parties:
- With third parties to provide, maintain, and improve our products and services, including third party service providers who access information about you to perform services on our behalf, as well as financial institutions and payment processors in the case of business transactions;
- With third parties that assist with email campaigns, special offers, or other events or activities in connection with our products and services;
- With other persons with whom you have requested that we share information, in order to fulfill services you request;
- In connection with, or during the negotiation of, any merger, sale of company stock or assets, financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution of all or a portion of our business; or
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to (a) comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request; (b) enforce or comply with our Terms & Conditions or other applicable agreements or policies, (c) protect our rights or property, or the security or integrity of our services, or (d) protect us, users of our services or the public from harm or potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
Our service providers are bound by contract to keep your personal information confidential, and to retain, use, or disclose it only to perform on our behalf the purposes laid out in the contract.
THIRD PARTY COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ONLINE ACTIVITIES
YOUR ACCESS AND CONTROL OVER INFORMATION
You may request to access, update, or in certain cases delete your personal information that we have collected, used, or disclosed. You can do so by emailing email@example.com, filling out the web form at https://www.matson.com/corporate/contactus, or contacting us by telephone at 1-800-4-Matson.
Also, if you have provided your cellular phone number, thereby automatically enrolling in the Matson Automated Notification program, but would now like to opt out of such notifications, you may do so by replying STOPMAT to that confirmation SMS/Text message. For help call 1-800-462-8766. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding this program.
We take reasonable precautions, including physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards, to protect your information. We make reasonable efforts to maintain security on our systems. Despite our efforts, we cannot guarantee that personal information may not be accessed, disclosed, or altered by breach of our safeguards. We urge you to take adequate precautions to protect your personal information.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or
privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personal information.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages. If you decide to opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as communications at your request, about your requested services, or about your account.
Our website is not designed nor intended to collect personal information from children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 16.
RIGHTS FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, California Civil Code Sections 1798.100 et seq. (CCPA), additionally affords rights to our users and customers who are California residents. For example, California residents may have a right, following a verifiable request, to (1) access—twice in a 12-month period, free of charge—for the 12-month period prior to the request, the categories and specific pieces of personal information Matson has collected about the user, the categories of sources from which the personal information is collected, the business purpose for collecting the personal information, and the categories of third parties with whom Matson shares personal information; and (2) delete personal information under certain circumstances. Such requests may be made as described in the above Your Access and Control Over Information section. And of course, Matson does not discriminate against our users and customers on the basis of their exercising any of their rights afforded by the CCPA, which is further in accordance with California residents’ rights under that title. You may exercise your rights by submitting a request to us as described in the Contact section below, or in the Your Access and Control Over Information section above.