Matson is Hawaii and Guam’s most experienced carrier in moving cargo that doesn’t “fit in a box.”
Over the years, we have fully demonstrated our ability to carry virtually anything that exceeds the dimensions of a container or flatrack, or exceeds equipment weight limitations to and from the Islands. We have expertise in breakbulk cargo including construction materials, entertainment productions, tourist submarines, observatory mirrors, trolley cars, RVs, campers, trailers, forklifts, heavy machinery, buses, boats, and everything in between.
Matson will work with you on transporting one-time shipments or large project moves, which can involve careful coordination of transportation according to a well-defined, time-specific schedule. Get a free quote today.
What is Oversized Cargo?
- Freight that exceeds the dimensions of a container or flatrack, or exceeds equipment weight limitations
- Any self-propelled vehicles, other than a personal vehicle
- Towable cargo
Our rates are calculated based on the cargo dimensions. Price depends on the overall length, width, height, and weight of the cargo and the type of service you select. Handling charges are also figured based on whether the cargo is to be loaded by the shipper to a flatrack or if it will be delivered to us as loose freight. Matson offers four types of service: door to door, door to port, port to port and port to door.
- Door to Door
Matson can arrange for equipment such as a flatrack or trailer to transport the cargo from your home or business. The type of equipment needed will be dependent on the nature of what you are shipping. With this service we plan the trucking and ocean transit for you. All you have to do is load and secure the freight to the equipment.
- Door to Port
Matson can manage your ocean transit and arrange for trucking to the origin port (i.e. Mainland, Hawaii or Guam). All you do is load the cargo to the flatrack or trailer and arrange for trucking from the port on the other side of the move.
- Port to Port
If you plan to arrange your own trucking to and from the ports, Matson will manage the ocean transit part of your move between the mainland and Hawaii, or Guam. Oversized cargo can either be delivered to us as loose freight or loaded by the shipper to a flat rack. While flatrack dimensions vary slightly, these are the basic inside measurements of the flat rack sizes that can be utilized for Hawaii and Guam.
- Port to Door
You would arrange your own transportation to the origin port and once the cargo arrives at the destination port, Matson will arrange for trucking to the ultimate destination.
There are two ways you may receive a flatrack for loading:
- You can arrange for a Uniform Intermodal Interchange Agreement (UIIA) approved trucking company to deliver a Matson flatrack and pick it up after you have loaded your cargo; or
- You can allow Matson to arrange for a trucker to either deliver a flatrack or other equipment to your home or business.
- If you plan to ship your freight on a flatrack, it will be delivered to you on a chassis (wheels) raising the floor about four feet above the ground. Matson does not provide ramps or lift-gates, tie-downs, or packing materials for loading.
- If you choose to coordinate your own trucking, please be sure to ask the trucking company if they are a UIIA approved carrier. If they are unsure about their interchange status, please have them contact the UIIA at 1-877-438-8442 or visit the UIIA website.
This type of oversized cargo is non-wheeled, lighter than 50,000 pounds, and is handled on Matson’s equipment. The shipper is responsible for arranging to have the freight unloaded from the truck delivering it. Depending on the dimensions and nature of the freight, a forklift or a crane will need to be planned in advance. In most cases, the handling can be done by the longshoremen, however, in Long Beach, there is a third-party forklift company that would need to be hired. Payment can either be made to them directly or the charges can be advanced to your Matson freight bill.
Freight that will have to be lifted onto and off of the ship directly by a Matson crane is known as a direct transfer. Diagrams of your freight showing lifting points may be required. Also, the date and time must be arranged prior to the arrival of the cargo.
Matson can also handle the shipment of cargo that exceeds the lifting capability of our cranes. In this case, a third-party floating barge crane service would need to be utilized. This would need to be arranged for by the shipper and those charges are additional.
Depending on the nature of your freight, it may be required to sail on a specific vessel. Please contact our customer service team at 1-888-362-8766 for more information regarding estimated sailing and arrival times.
Our customer service representatives can take your credit card payment over the phone or you can mail your payment to Matson Navigation – Accounts Receivable at 4605 E. Elwood Street, Suite 600, Phoenix Arizona 85040. Payments are also accepted at the port.
The following payment methods are accepted:
- Cashiers check
- Travelers check
- Bank or postal money order
- Wire Transfers
- Credit card – Master Card, VISA, or Discover – Cardholder must be present if paying at the port
- Sorry, no personal checks are accepted
- Payment will be required prior to shipment, or if your company does not have a credit account established with us, then it will be due before the cargo can be released at the destination.
- The shipment number must be noted on your payment.
- Mainland – Matson offers oversized cargo service to or from Long Beach, Oakland, and Tacoma.
- Hawaii – Oversized cargo service is available to or from Honolulu, Hilo, Kahului, and Nawiliwili. Cargo heading to the islands of Molokai or Lanai can be transported to Honolulu through Matson, however, the shipper is responsible for arranging transportation to and shipment through Young Brother’s barge service.
- Guam – Matson provides oversized cargo service to and from Guam, Saipan, Rota, Palau, Yap, Chuuk, and Pohnpei.
Matson offers many specialized services designed to meet our customers’ needs. To learn more about our oversized cargo services, please contact our Customer Service Center at 1-888-362-8766 or get a free quote today.