Matson is committed to continuously improving its operations both ashore and afloat. We believe that in order to provide our customers with superior service we must ensure that our operations are safe and environmentally responsible. Safety, quality and environmental policies are integral parts of our business. No job is considered effectively completed unless it is done safely and with consideration for its impact on the environment.
In support of these policies, Matson:
- Participates in government and industry forums and helps employees improve their understanding of the safety, quality, and environmental issues and risks associated with our business.
- Assesses and, as appropriate, revises its management system to achieve our goals.
- Ensures that employees understand Matson’s commitment to these policies.
- Sets appropriate objectives and monitors progress toward achieving our goals.
- Allocates sufficient resources to achieve our goals.
Operations are not performed effectively unless they are also performed safely. To achieve effective and safe ship, terminal and office environments, Matson maintains and follows documented procedures.
If an operations activity is unsafe, the activity is stopped, addressed immediately, and appropriate action is taken to eliminate the risk of harm to Matson employees. To ensure safety issues are addressed on a timely basis, the company underscores that it is the duty of each Matson employee to bring unsafe conditions to the attention of his or her supervisor immediately.
Matson and its subsidiaries are dedicated to meeting or exceeding customer expectations, thereby ensuring customer satisfaction. Effective management and a strong commitment from all Matson employees to continually improve business processes enables Matson to accomplish this goal.
Matson’s quality policy objectives are to ensure that:
- Freight moves on the vessel, train, airplane or truck of a customer’s choice in order to meet the customer’s availability requirements.
- Customers receive requested equipment (containers), in good order, when and where they want it.
- Customers are served by a knowledgeable and responsive sales and customer service staff.
- Freight is processed efficiently through our facilities.
- Customers receive accurate and timely invoices.
- Customer freight reaches its destination damage-free.
- Customers find it easy to do business with all Matson companies.
Matson is committed to managing environmental matters as an integral part of our business. It is our policy to ensure the environmental integrity of our processes, vessels and facilities. We do so by adhering to the following principles:
We meet or exceed applicable federal, state and local legislative and regulatory requirements. Strict compliance with these environmental standards is the key ingredient to the success of our environmental program.
Where we believe existing laws and regulations do not provide adequate controls to ensure the protection of the environment, we establish and adhere to our own, more stringent standards.
Matson’s goals are to improve the condition of our environment, prevent pollution and reduce the amount of waste generated by our activities.
Matson strives to minimize the risk to the environment in which we operate and to the surrounding communities by employing reasonably available technology, adhering to operating procedures and being prepared for emergencies.
In order to seek ways that we can continuously improve, we communicate our commitment to our employees and our customers. We solicit their input to help us reach our goals and we offer our assistance to our employees and our customers to help them meet their goals.